Locust Fork in Blount County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
History of Locust Fork
The first church in the community was built with slave labor near Robinette Springs. Tabernacle, a Methodist church, was used for both school and church activities. In 1921 a new school building was erected. Another classroom was added the following year and in 1928 two more classrooms were added. In 1937, with WPA assistance, a new high school was constructed. On January 10, 1961, the school burned. A new building is now located on this site. Locust Fork was incorporated January 18, 1977. F. M. Wilder was elected the town’s first mayor. Council
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Locust Fork. (Marker Number None.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 33° 54.363′ N, 86° 37.008′ W. Marker is in Locust Fork, Alabama, in Blount County. Marker is on Town Hall Road, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. The marker is located in front of the City Hall building on block off AL HWY 79. Marker is in this post office area: Locust Fork AL 35097, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gabriel Hanby, 1786-1826 (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Homesite and Grave of George Powell (approx. 4 miles away); Historic Oneonta L & N Railroad Depot (approx. 8.5 miles away); Blount County (approx. 8.7 miles away); Champion Mines (approx. 9.3 miles away); Blount Springs First Baptist Church Of Springville (approx. 12.1 miles away); Ebenezer Hearn 1794-1862 (approx. 12.2 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2011, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 814 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 2, 2011, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.