Las Vegas in Clark County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Old Mormon Fort
After founding Salt Lake City in 1847, the Mormon Church expanded its settlement westward. The Las Vegas Mission was established in June 1855 as an outpost roughly halfway between Salt Lake City and Southern California. Built alongside the Las Vegas Creek, 30 missionaries constructed a 150 square foot adobe fort. This was the first non-native building and settlement in the Las Vegas Valley. A part of an original 1855 wall remains and is the oldest extant building remnant in Nevada. The Mormons taught new farming techniques and religion to the local Paiutes. Lead was discovered in the nearby mountain, but the mining effort proved unseccessful. By 1857 the Mission was abandoned because of dissention among the leaders, the summer climate and a deteriorating relationship with the Paiutes. In 1865, Octabius D. Gass developed a ranch on the site and proveded food for travelers and nearby mining communities. By 1881, the property passed to Archibald and Helen J. Stewart. Although Archibald was killed in a gunfight in 1884, Helen continued to operated the ranch, raising their five children and providing rest and comfort for travelers. In 1902 she sold
By Michael Kindig, July 4, 2009
1. Old Mormon Fort Marker
the ranch, the surrounding land and the water rights to the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad. On her former land in 1905, the new town of Las Vegas was born. In 1972 the Old Fort was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The site is now part of the Nevada State Park System.
By Dawn Bowen
2. Front entrance of original fort
Location. 36° 10.84′ N, 115° 7.979′ W. Marker is in Las Vegas, Nevada, in Clark County. Marker is on East Washington Avenue. Marker is located at the Old Las Vegas State Historic Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 East Washington Avenue, Las Vegas NV 89101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Las Vegas Mormon Fort (a few steps from this marker); First Las Vegas Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Las Vegas Fort (within shouting distance of this marker); The Neon Boneyard Park Sign (approx. ¼ mile away); Silver Slipper Gambling Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Jerry's Nugget (approx. 0.3 miles away); The "H" Wall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Biltmore Village (was approx. 0.3 miles away but has been reported missing. ). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Las Vegas.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
By Dawn Bowen
3. Orignal walls of the fort are still intact
By Denise Boose, November 26, 2009
4. Old Mormon Fort
More. Search the internet for Old Mormon Fort.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 620 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 8, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. 2, 3. submitted on June 28, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on March 31, 2013, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.