Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Cedar Grove in Kanawha County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Historic Church

 
 
Historic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Forest McDermott, May 27, 2008
1. Historic Church Marker
Virginia's Chapel
Inscription. Virginia's Chapel was built in 1853 as gift for Wm. Tompkins' daughter, Virginia. Used by both sides during the Civil War, Methodists acquired church in 1901. Building lengthened in 19th cent., cupola added in 1912. Placed on National Register in 1974 and deeded to Upper Kanawha Valley Senior Council in 1979. "Old Brick Church" was restored in 1981 using preservation grants and many gifts.
 
Erected 1990 by Upper Kanawha Valley Senior Council & West Virginia Department of Culture and History.
 
Location. 38° 13.059′ N, 81° 25.554′ W. Marker is near Cedar Grove, West Virginia, in Kanawha County. Marker is on U.S. 60 0.3 miles east of Kellys Creek Road (County Route 81), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cedar Grove WV 25039, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Settlers (within shouting distance of this marker); Andrew & Charles Lewis March (within shouting distance of this marker); Coalburg (approx. 1.8 miles away); Fayette County / Kanawha County (approx. 5.9 miles away); West Virginia Institute of Technology
Historic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Forest McDermott, May 27, 2008
2. Historic Church Marker
Virginia's Chapel is in the background.
(approx. 6.1 miles away); Christopher H. Payne (approx. 6.3 miles away); Samuel Shrewsbury House (approx. 6.6 miles away); Belle Works (approx. 7.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cedar Grove.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Plaque next to front door of Historic Church - Virginia's Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Forest McDermott, May 27, 2008
3. Plaque next to front door of Historic Church - Virginia's Chapel
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 12, 2011, by Forest McDermott of Masontown, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 356 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 12, 2011, by Forest McDermott of Masontown, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement