La Marque in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Paul's Union Church
The site of the original church building destroyed in the 1900 storm became a cemetery in which many of the storm's victims were buried. Services were held at B. F. Ayers' home until a new structure was built adjacent to the cemetery about 1913. The church incorporated as La Marque Union Protestant Church in 1927.
A new sanctuary was completed in 1933 with the help of Mrs. Paul Naschke. Her financial assistance was extended on the condition the church be named after her late husband. A well-known local photographer and contributor to church affairs. The church was renamed Paul's Union Church in 1933. Various community groups, including La Marque's Garden Club and its civic club used church facilities.
Led by a devoted clergy the church was able to support a missionary to South America, aid victims of the 1947 Texas City disaster and lead a 1949 anti-gambling crusade in Galveston County.
Erected 1995 by Texas Historical Commission.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1709 Oak St, La Marque TX 77568, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Frank Bell Jr. (approx. 1.1 miles away); La Marque (approx. 1.2 miles away); Settlement Community (approx. 1.9 miles away); Galilee Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Texas City (approx. 2.9 miles away); Propeller of the SS Highflyer (approx. 3.2 miles away); The First Texas City Refinery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Texas City Terminal Railway Company (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Marque.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 2, 2008, by Samuel Collins III of Hitchcock, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,501 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 2, 2008, by Samuel Collins III of Hitchcock, Texas. 2. submitted on February 4, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 3. submitted on February 2, 2008, by Samuel Collins III of Hitchcock, Texas. 4. submitted on December 4, 2011, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.