Homewood in Jefferson County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
On February 11, 1927, the merger of Edgewood, Grove Park and Rosedale became the new City of Homewood. On October 14, 1929 Hollywood was annexed. November 14, 1955 Oak Grove and Drexel Hills came in. Later annexations included the Lakeshore area (1959-60), Edgemont, more of Oak Grove, West Valley Avenue and Wildwood (1950’s-1970’s).
The first mayor, known as “The Father of Homewood,” was Charles Rice. Homewood City Hall was completed January 5, 1928. The city now encompasses 9.5 square miles with a population of 25,045.
Erected 2003 by The City of Homewood and the Birmingham-Jefferson Historical Society.
Location. 33° 28.826′ N, 86° 47.383′ W. Marker is in Homewood, Alabama, in Jefferson County. Marker is on 19th Street South, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Located in front of the Homewood Municipal Offices. Marker is in this post office area: Birmingham AL 35209, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. “We Love Homewood” (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hallman Hill Rosedale (approx. ¼ mile away); Hollywood / Hollywood Town Hall / Hollywood Country Club (approx. ¼ mile away); Shades Valley High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Union Hill Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Union Hill Cemetery, Union Hill Methodist Episcopal Church, Union Hill School (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Cascade (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Homewood.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 30, 2011, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. This page has been viewed 566 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 30, 2011, by David J Gaines of Pinson, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.