Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Coatesville in Chester County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Terracina

The Lukens National Historic District

 
 
Terracina Marker image. Click for full size.
By Eric Milask, August 31, 2011
1. Terracina Marker
Inscription. The successful growth of the Brandywine mill is reflected in Terracina, which was built in 1850-1851 by Rebecca Lukens for her daughter, Isabella Lukens Huston, and Isabella's husband, Dr. Charles Huston. Constructed in the Country Gothic style made popular by American designers A.J. Davis & A.J. Downing, the exterior displays Gothic Revival features - peaked wall dormers with tall finials, diamond-paned lancet windows, and a large overhanging roof cornice with curvilinear bargeboards cut in Gothic tracery. A two-story Renaissance Revival bay was added to the south side of the house in 1875. When the Lukens iron business was incorporated in 1890, Dr. Huston became the firm's first president. His home, Terracina, is the link between the 18th-century Brandywine Mansion and the more substantial late 19th- and early 20th-century buildings that became its neighbors. Terracina remained a family residence until 1985. It is not owned by the Graystone Society, which was undertaken its restoration and preservation.
 
Erected by Graystone Society.
 
Location. 39° 58.845′ N, 75° 49.33′ W. Marker is in Coatesville, Pennsylvania, in Chester County. Marker is on 1st Avenue just west of South 1st Avenue. Touch for map. This
Terracina Interpretive & Terracina image. Click for full size.
By Eric Milask, August 31, 2011
2. Terracina Interpretive & Terracina
interpretive is planted firmly in the lawn and is 115 feet from South 1st Street and exactly 55 feet from the back left corner of the house (southern most corner of the house) to which it is aligned. The marker is angled to the front left corner of Terracina. The markers are the standard interpretives, held horizontally, thick black, frame, tilted for good viewing and maybe 3 or 4 feet off the ground. Marker is at or near this postal address: 76 South 1st Avenue, Coatesville PA 19320, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brandywine Iron Works - Early 1800s (within shouting distance of this marker); Brandywine Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lukens Mill - Late 1800s (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles Lukens Huston House Site (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Brandywine Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lukens Mill - Early 1900s (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles Lukens Huston House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Graystone - Abram Francis Huston House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Coatesville.
 
More about this marker. The top left of the marker features two
Terracina Interpretive Close-Up image. Click for full size.
By Eric Milask, August 31, 2011
3. Terracina Interpretive Close-Up
black and white pictures, presumable from the late 19th century of the original home owners of Terracina, isabella Pennock Lukens Huston and Dr. Charles Huston. Beneath this is a turn-of-the-century, black and white photo of Terracina. The bottom right of the marker bears another black and white photo of Dr. & Mrs. Huston on their porch, in their later leaves, he in a rocking chair, she in a porch chair.
 
Regarding Terracina. This is a very small, esoteric historic district which would normally be only fully understood and appreciated by a very specific cross-section of people. The Walking Tour Project / interpretive program located here successfully incorporates technical information and jargon into an accessible history lesson for Lukens' visitors. The interpretives are very organized and planted right in front of the contributing structure to which they refer. This interpretive focuses on Terracina, one of four main contributors to this historic district. The home is beautiful in its Greek Revivalship. Terracina is now owned by the Graystone Society, a non-profit organization, which is restoring the mansion to original form.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Lukens Historic District and National Iron & Steel Heritage Museum Interpretive Plan. This link is all about the interpretive plan
Terracina Interpretive Text image. Click for full size.
By Eric Milask, August 31, 2011
4. Terracina Interpretive Text
and walking tour which supports and educates visitors about the Lukens Historic District. (Submitted on December 31, 2011, by Eric Milask of Cherry Hill, New Jersey.) 

2. Historic District Walking Tour Signage Project. This link offers pictures of all the interpretive within the historic district. (Submitted on December 31, 2011, by Eric Milask of Cherry Hill, New Jersey.) 

3. Lukens National Historic District. Self-promoting website to engage and educate visitors and promote tourism. (Submitted on December 31, 2011, by Eric Milask of Cherry Hill, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Terracina image. Click for full size.
By Eric Milask, August 31, 2011
5. Terracina
Terracina (Southeast View) image. Click for full size.
By Eric Milask, August 31, 2011
6. Terracina (Southeast View)
Terracina (Northern Most Corner) image. Click for full size.
By Eric Milask, August 31, 2011
7. Terracina (Northern Most Corner)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 31, 2011, by Eric Milask of Cherry Hill, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 367 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 31, 2011, by Eric Milask of Cherry Hill, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement