Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Presbyterian Church
First Church in Galveston
Original building was finished 1843; present structure started 1872; completed 1889. Following its escape from the great fire of 1885, church housed classes from schools which had burned.
It withstood various storms until it was heavily damaged by hurricane Carla, 1961; restored, 1962.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 7444.)
Location. 29° 18.284′ N, 94° 47.314′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of 19th Street and Church Street, on the right when traveling south on 19th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1903 Church St, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Galveston Seminary (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Custom House, Post Office and United States Court House (about 400 feet away); Federal Building 1857 Galveston Historical Foundation (about 500 feet away); Maud Moller House (about 600 feet away); Texas Bar Association (about 700 feet away); Texas Revolution and Civil War (about 700 feet away); [Galveston County] Early History (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Also see . . .
1. The First Presbyterian Church Website. (Submitted on January 1, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. First Presbyterian Church (Galveston, Texas). Wikipedia (Submitted on January 1, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
3. On this Page of the National Register of Historical Places. About 1/3 down the page (Submitted on May 24, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 1, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 518 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 1, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.