Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Sacred Heart Church
Services for Sacred Heart Church were held in the St. Mary's University building until 1892, when the parish's first structure was completed. Designed by the noted Galveston architect Nicholas J. Clayton, it was destroyed in the 1900 hurricane.
The present building, the second for the parish, was constructed in 1903-04 during the pastorate of the Rev. D.J. Murphy. A prominent landmark in the city, it features ornate octagonal towers, flying buttresses, elaborate ornamentation, and a variety of arches. The design reflects influences of the Moorish, Byzantine, Gothic and Romanesque styles. The building's original dome, damaged in a 1915 hurricane, was redesigned by Nicholas Clayton.
Sacred Heart Church has played a significant role in the growth and development of Galveston. Since the 1880s, many of the city's prominent business, professional, civic and religious leaders have been associated with the parish.
Erected 1981 by Texas
Location. 29° 18.186′ N, 94° 46.893′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of Broadway and 14th Street, on the right when traveling north on Broadway. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1302 Broadway, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Rt. Rev. Monsignor Marius Etienne Chataignon (a few steps from this marker); The Bishop's Palace (within shouting distance of this marker); Carl and Hilda Biehl House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Julius H. Ruhl Residence (about 500 feet away); Frederich-Erhard House (about 600 feet away); George Fox House (about 700 feet away); The Cottage (approx. 0.2 miles away); Former Site of Heidenheimer's Castle (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 2, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 457 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 2, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.