Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Glover - Sottile House
This splendid mansion was built in 1826 by Dr. Joseph Glover, a noted Charleston physician, utilizing the service wing of an older house of about 1775. In 1906 it was purchased by the Cavaliere Giovanni Sottile, Consul for ltaly, whose family served it. It is an impressive example of the Regency style of architecture.
This structure has been
recorded by the
of the United States Department
of the Interior for its archives
at the Library of Congress
Erected by The Preservation Society of Charleston.
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina, Preservation Society of Charleston marker series.
Location. 32° 46.791′ N, 79° 56.518′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Rutledge Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 81 Rutledge Avenue, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. I. Jenkins Mikell House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 95 Ashley Avenue 69 Ashley Avenue Eli Gedding House (about 600 feet away); 66 Bull Street The John Cart House (about 800 feet away); 55 Ashley Avenue The Baker House (approx. 0.2 miles away); 113 Ashley Avenue (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pollitzer House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Benjamin Lucas House (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Also see . . . Glover - Sottile House. The buildings of Charleston: a guide to the city's architecture By Jonathan H. Poston, pages 554-555 (Submitted on January 4, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 4, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 663 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 5, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.