New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
The Xiques House
This was the Spanish Consulate from 1871 to 1877. In 1884 a gambling house operated here, followed by a cigar factory from 1885 to 1890.
In 1905 the house was to be demolished for a mineral water plant. Instead, it continued as a residence, with bottle storage on the ground floor and a new bottling building in the rear yard.
By 1934, it was a rooming house, with a store on the ground floor and a public garage in the rear. Major renovations of the house were completed in 1964 and 2001.
An earlier building on this site was occupied from 1818 to 1825 by the Orleans Parish Police Jury, the governing body of Orleans Parish.
Erected 2011 by New Orleans Landmarks Commission.
Location. 29° 57.491′ N, 90° 4.066′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is on Dauphine Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 523 Dauphine Street, New Orleans LA 70112, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Campanel Cottage (within shouting distance of this marker); Hermann – Grima House The French Opera House (about 400 feet away); Audubon Room (about 500 feet away); Nicholas Bertoli Building (about 500 feet away); Girod House (about 500 feet away); My Bourbon Home (about 500 feet away); Original Pierre Maspero’s Slave Exchange (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 6, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 773 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 6, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 3. submitted on April 5, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.