New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Commagère – Mercier House
In 1806 it was occupied in part by John Watkins, mayor of New Orleans and by Mr. Forstall’s store. Sold by Pedro Commagère in 1806 to Mme. Gracieuse Fontenella, wife of Jean Baptiste Mercier, and by her heirs in 1828 to Louis Gally whose family owned it until 1866.
The site was granted by the Company of the Indies to Francois Gallard, called Chamilly, in 1722. Nicolas Vebent, its second owner, sold it in 1782 to Jean Baptiste Orso from whom Commagère bought it in 1795.
This fine example of New Orleans Spanish Colonial architecture occupied by the Gumbo Shop since 1945.
Erected 1978 by New Orleans Landmarks Commission.
Location. 29° 57.461′ N, 90° 3.865′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is on Saint Peter Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 630 Saint Peter Street, New Orleans LA 70116, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Victor David House (a few steps Avart-Peretti House (a few steps from this marker); Pedesclaux-Lemonnier House (within shouting distance of this marker); LaBranche Buildings (within shouting distance of this marker); David Bannister Morgan (within shouting distance of this marker); Faulkner House (within shouting distance of this marker); Quartier General de la Garde Municipale (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Commagère – Mercier House.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 8, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 626 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 8, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.