La Porte in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Advertising to prospective settlers in New York State and the Midwest, the developers began selling lots by January 1892. Soon a hotel, general mercantile store, and U.S. Post Office opened in the new town. The La Porte, Houston, and Northern Railroad, chartered in 1892, completed a line to Sylvan Beach Resort in 1899. Along with agriculture, the beach became the town's main economic mainstay.
The original investment company became insolvent by 1895, but a new company purchased the land in 1898 and continued development efforts. Disastrous effects of the 1900 storm, as well as another storm and a fire in 1915, the discovery of the Goose Creek oil field in 1916, and the industrialization of the area following World War II, resulted in an increased population and a shift away from the agricultural character of the town.
Erected 1992 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10715.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 604 W Fairmont Pkwy, La Porte TX 77571, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First City Hall and Jail (approx. 0.9 miles away); Saint Mary's Seminary (approx. 0.9 miles away); John A. Grimes Memorial Park (approx. 1.7 miles away); New Washington (approx. 1.7 miles away); Col. James Morgan (approx. 1.7 miles away); Gribble-Hofheinz House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Governor Ross Sterling Mansion (approx. 2.1 miles away); Bay Ridge / Morgan's Point (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Porte.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 8, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 541 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 8, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.