Los Angeles in Los Angeles County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
244 American and 16 British pilots were posted and these units participated in action against the German foe from across the English Channel until September of 1942, at which time they were handed over to the United States Army Air Force.
During service with the Royal Air Force, the three squadrons suffered casualties of 66 pilots killed in action or while on active service. This memorial is to honor these comrades. They served in valor.
This monument is erected through the generosity of Jaguar cars.
Location. 33° 56.122′ N, 118° 22.677′ W. Marker is in Los Angeles, California, in Los Angeles County. Marker is on Aviation Blvd, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 11022 Aviation Blvd, Los Angeles CA 90045, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Capt. Lou Lenart, USMC (Ret.) (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the Childhood Home of The Beach Boys Dockweiler Hang Gliding Center (approx. 3.2 miles away); Manhattan Beach Pier (approx. 4 miles away); The Lugo Ranch (approx. 4.6 miles away); The Helmsman (approx. 4.8 miles away); Civil War Union Camp Latham (approx. 5 miles away); Dr. Paul Carlson Memorial Park (approx. 5.6 miles away).
Regarding Eagle Squadrons. Marker is located on the grounds of The Proud Bird Restaurant. The airplane displayed here next the marker, the Supermarine Spitfire, is just one of many vintage aircraft on display.
The Spitfire was in service with many different groups and on many different fronts. Belgians, Free French, Poles, Czechs, Americans, and British Commonwealth countries used the fighter. The Eagle Squadron was one of the best known of these foreign units. Composed of American volunteers, the first Eagle Squadron was officially formed on September 19, 1940. They flew Hawker Hurricane aircraft until they could be equipped with Spitfires. When the United States entered the war, there were three squadrons of Eagles. On September 29, 1942, these squadrons became the 334th, 335th, and 336th Squadrons
The P-51 displayed at the Proud Bird restaurant (Photo 3) bears the colors of the 332nd Fighter Group - in tribute to the Afro-American "Tuskegee Airmen" also known as the "Red Tails".
Also see . . . Eagle Squadrons. Brief history and timelines of the Eagle Squadrons, including individual history pages and rosters for each squadron. (Submitted on October 25, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 28, 2018. This page originally submitted on October 25, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,405 times since then and 28 times this year. Last updated on January 10, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 25, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.