Logo of the New Orleans Landmarks Commission 1964
Designed in 1791 by Gilberto Guillemard, architect, as the rectory of the Church of St. Louis. Construction, begun through the generosity of Don Andres Almonester y Roxas, was halted when he died in 1796. The building remained unfinished, only one story high, until it was completed by the wardens of St. Louis Cathedral in 1813, Gurlie and Guillot, builders.
Never used for its intended purpose as a rectory or presbytère, the building was rented to the city by the cathedral wardens for use as a court house and sold by them to the city in 1853. The rear wings were erected in 1840 by Gobet and Larochette, builders, Benjamin Buisson, architect. The mansard roof was added in 1847 by Gobet and Amiel, builders.
Transferred to the Louisiana State Museum in 1911. Renovated by the State of Louisiana in 1962-63 for the museum.
Erected 1964 by New Orleans Landmarks Commission.
Location. 29° 57.489′ N, 90° 3.802′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Chartres Street and Saint Ann Street on Chartres Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 741 Chartres Street, New Orleans LA 70116, United States of America.
Other nearby markers.
Also see . . . The Presbytère - New Orleans Online. (Submitted on January 16, 2012, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 18, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 12, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 430 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 12, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.