New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Jean Adrien Delpit House
This half of the Debon Building was extensively remodeled or rebuilt by Jean Adrien Delpit, tobacconist, who acquired this building in 1840. He established a tobacco and snuff factory in 1808 and operated here from 1840 until the 1880’s, adding the adjacent building at 517 St. Louis Street in 1885. His products, including the famed Louisiana Perique Tobacco, won many state and international awards. His heirs moved to Paris, France, and sold this building in 1889.
Erected 1993 by New Orleans Landmarks Commission.
Location. 29° 57.332′ N, 90° 3.88′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is on Saint Louis Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 521 Saint Louis Street, New Orleans LA 70130, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pierre Maspero’s Exchange (within shouting distance of this marker); Louis J. Dufilho Importer's Bonded Warehouses - Henry Howard, Architect (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Work Begins on New Orleans, Spring 1718 (about 400 feet away); Bienville Monument (about 400 feet away); Judge Fred J. Cassibry Square (about 500 feet away); Bosque House (about 600 feet away); Pecquet Building (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for Jean Adrien Delpit House.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 12, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 953 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 12, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.