New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
The French Market
Ancient French Market dates its legal birth from September 10, 1784, when the “Authorities of Justice and Administration” decided that all retailers in the city should conduct their businesses on this spot.
In 1791 the first market structure was completed. Destroyed by a hurricane in 1812, it was replaced in 1813 by the building now housing the meat and retail fish markets. Although the interior was modernized in 1936 – 1938, the walls and supporting columns are just as erected in 1815. Other market structures were built at various times between 1813 and 1872.
Millions of feet have trod this bartering spot in centuries of trading, for Indians traded here long before the French came. May yours tread pleasantly here and bring you happiness.
Rehabilitated French Market
Dedicated March 19, 1938
French Market was rehabilitated in 1936-1938 under direction of the French Market Corporation composed of business men of this market neighborhood and by the authority of a franchise granted by the commission council of New Orleans. Financing of the reconstruction was the result of cooperative efforts by the corporation, Public Works Administration of the United States, City of New Orleans, the State of Louisiana, Orleans Levee Board and the business
The architectural integrity of the historic market structures has been retained throughout. The interiors have been modernized to conform to refrigeration and sanitary trends of 1938, but the French Market show-place of New Orleans, the most ancient mart in the Mississippi Valley, remains the same.
Location. 29° 57.539′ N, 90° 3.642′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is on Decatur Street near North Peters Street and Saint Philip Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Orleans LA 70116, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Evans Creole Candy Factory (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named French Market (about 400 feet away); Provincial Motel (about 500 feet away); De La Ronde House (about 500 feet away); Cucullu Row (about 600 feet away); Birthplace of Danny Barker (about 600 feet away); Old Ursuline Convent (about 600 feet away); Café Du Monde (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
More about this marker. This marker is composed of two panels, the other panels are dedication plaques, located in the New Place de France. The New Place de France, dedicated in
Regarding The French Market. Since the 1936-1938 renovation the French Market has undergone additional renovation, most notably in the 1970s.
Also see . . . The French Market - history. (Submitted on January 12, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 12, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 466 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 12, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 6. submitted on April 8, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 7. submitted on January 12, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 8, 9. submitted on February 27, 2015. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.