Sonora in Tuolumne County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Inscription. The Sonora Inn, originally the Hotel Victoria, is comprised of two buildings. The northern structure is stone and the southern is wood. G.B. Ventre and Philip Cavalero began construction on the stone building in 1895. Before its completion the property was acquired by Capt. W.A. Nevills, who made his fortune in the Rawhide Mine. Originally the two structures were united in the front with a double wooden balcony. The rear, Green Street side of the buildings, has always remained separate. The Hotel Victoria opened in April 1896 with 47 lodging rooms, a dining room, bar and billiard room and wine vaults in the basement. After Charles and Eric Segerstrom acquired the property they completely remodeled it into the Spanish style we see today. The hotel reopened as the Sonora Inn in 1931.
By Michael Kindig, May 21, 2011
1. Sonora Inn Marker
Erected 2010 by Matuca Chapter No. 1849, E Clampus Vitus.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 37° 58.989′ N, 120° 22.934′ W. Marker is in Sonora, California, in Tuolumne County. Marker is on South Washington Street near Golden Chain Highway/West Stockton Street (California Highway 49), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. The hotel building is
located on the northwest corner of the intersection. The marker faces South Washington Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 160 South Washington Street, Sonora CA 95370, United States of America.
By Michael Kindig, May 21, 2011
2. Sonora Inn
Marker is mounted on the front of the building and is visible between the two columns supporting the third arch from the left.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the Sonora Plaza Well (within shouting distance of this marker); City Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Sugg House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Home of Wells Fargo & Company in Sonora (about 400 feet away); Sonora Fountain (about 400 feet away); Sonora (about 500 feet away); Sonora Opera Hall (about 500 feet away); First Two-Story House in Sonora (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sonora.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
By Merle Porter - Royal Pictures, Colton, California
3. Sonora Inn - Sonora California
Sonora Inn is located in the center of the town of Sonora, known as Sonorain Camp in 1848. By November of 1848 half the population was near death with scurvy. A town government was formed to build a hospital, but the "Gringo" government imposed a $20.00 tax on foreign-born miners, a great number being Mexican and Chilians. Alarmed at the Yankee treachery these foreign-born miners moved to nearby Columbia where rich ore was found. With the turn of events Sonora found itself with but one fifth of its former population...M.P.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 12, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 399 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 12, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. 3. submitted on January 21, 2012. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.