Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
69 Ashley Avenue Eli Gedding House
This three story late Regency Style Single House was constructed circa 1860 by prominent Charleston physician Eli Geddings. In 1825, Geddings became the first graduate of the Medical College in Charleston, now known as the Medical University of South Carolina. He served as a Professor of Pathological Anatomy and Medical Jurisprudence as well as holding chairs of both Medicine and Surgery. Geddings gained a national reputation for his published work in the field of medical education. In 1997 the Gedding Society was established at the Medical University in recognition of his contributions. The main house was renovated in 1992, at which time the rear buildings were constructed.
Erected 1999 by The Preservation Society of Charleston.
Marker series. This marker is included in the South Carolina, Preservation Society of Charleston marker series.
Location. 32° 46.698′ N, 79° 56.569′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Ashley Avenue near Gray Court, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 69 Ashley Avenue, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers 55 Ashley Avenue The Baker House (within shouting distance of this marker); 95 Ashley Avenue (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Glover - Sottile House (about 600 feet away); I. Jenkins Mikell House (approx. 0.2 miles away); 113 Ashley Avenue (approx. ¼ mile away); 66 Bull Street The John Cart House (approx. ¼ mile away); Pollitzer House (approx. ¼ mile away); Cooper - O'Conner House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Regarding 69 Ashley Avenue Eli Gedding House. Aquired this lot before 1852 and built a three-story wooden single house with a flat roof and parapet, probably just prior to the War Between the States. After passing to Anna Marscher by 1879, Victorian changes, including two-over-two windows, were carried out on the site. ...(The buildings of Charleston: a Guide to the city's architecture By Jonathan H.Poston, Historic Charleston Foundation, page 484)
Also see . . . Charleston County Public Library; Dr. Eli Geddings. opened a private school known as the Charleston Academy of Medicine, offering lectures in the practice of medicine and surgery, surgical pathology, practical anatomy, and operative surgery, and giving students access to his personal library of 700 (Submitted on January 16, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 16, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 398 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 16, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.