Marine on St. Croix in Washington County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Minnesota's First Commercial Sawmill
In the autumn of 1838 two lumbermen from Marine, Illinois, David Hone and Lewis Judd, arrived in the St. Croix River valley, attracted by it's abundant resources of white pine. They selected this site, then known as Fall River, to build a sawmill and named it after their hometown. Lumber was floated down the St. Croix River and then shipped by rail west to the prairies. It was used to build towns and cities, and it enabled settlers who had been living in sod houses to erect wood-frame homes. For more than five decades, St. Croix pine lumber supported the burgeoning economy of Minnesota.
[map] Bird's-eye-view of milling operation, 1888, under the ownership of the Anderson and O'Brien Company.
1 Sawmill • 2 Planing mill • 3 Lumber piles • 4 St. Croix River • 5 Blackstone Hotel • 6 Marine Lumber Company store • 7 Powerhouse • 8 Covered mill stream • 9 Millpond • 10 Judd Street • 11 Burkleo/Berkey House • 12 Village Hall
Erected by Minnesota Historical Society.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Minnesota Historical Society marker series.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marine on Saint Croix MN 55047, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Powerhouse and Kiln (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Settler's Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Marine Mill Site (within shouting distance of this marker); The Pineries are Gone (within shouting distance of this marker); Boom, Then Bust (within shouting distance of this marker); Technological Revolution (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Marine (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Marine (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marine on St. Croix.
More about this marker. [drawing and map captions]
• What the sawmill may have looked like in 1888. David Geister rendering (2000), Minnesota Historical Society
• Sanborn Fire Insurance Map. 1888, with an insert from 1898, Minnesota Historical Society
Also see . . .
1. Minnesota Historical Society. Marine Mill. "Today all that remains are portions of the stone foundations of (Submitted on January 17, 2012.)
2. The City of Marine on St. Croix. (Submitted on January 17, 2012.)
3. Sanborn Maps. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on January 17, 2012.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 17, 2012, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 432 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on January 17, 2012, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.