Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Denver in Denver County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

The Buckhorn Exchange

Established 1893

 

—Denver’s Oldest Restaurant —

 
The Buckhorn Exchange Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, October 13, 2008
1. The Buckhorn Exchange Marker
Inscription. In November 1893, Henry H. “Shorty Scout” Zietz opened a saloon in this building, which was built about 1886 by Neef Brothers Brewery. Known as the Rio Grande Exchange, the saloon catered to the railroaders working across Osage Street at the Burnham Yards of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad. Zietz later changed the name to the Buckhorn Lodge and then to the Buckhorn Exchange. Legend has it that “Shorty Scout” had been at various times a frontiersman, a crack shot who rode as a scout with Col. William F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody, a hunting guide for President Theodore “Teddy” Roosevelt, and a worked in Leadville mines owned by U.S. Senator Horace W. Tabor.

Shorty ran the Buckhorn until his death in 1949, when his son Henry Jr., also an avid big-game hunter acquired ownership. For three generations the Zietz family collected the hundreds of taxidermied [sic] trophies, antique firearms, Native American artifacts, photographs, and western memorabilia displayed in the restaurant today.

In 1978 the Buckhorn was sold to a group of Denverites, headed by Roi Davis. They carefully renovated and restored this important piece of Colorado history. The Buckhorn retains its original interior, including the 1857 white-oak bar, from the Zietz family tavern in Essen, Germany. On the back bar is displayed

The Buckhorn Exchange Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, October 13, 2008
2. The Buckhorn Exchange Marker
Colorado Liquor License #1. This small 19th century saloon has become world-famous for its steak and game dinners, museum-quality artifacts, and celebrity patrons including many American presidents and British royalty. The Buckhorn Exchange is on the National Register or Historic Places, and was designated a Denver landmark on August 28, 1972.

This plaque was installed to mark the centennial.
 
Erected 1993.
 
Location. 39° 43.931′ N, 105° 0.31′ W. Marker is in Denver, Colorado, in Denver County. Marker is at the intersection of Osage Street and West 10th Avenue on Osage Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 Osage Street, Denver CO 80211, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Auraria Townsite and Ninth Street Historic Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); In Honor of Christopher Columbus (approx. one mile away); Passing of the Street Car (approx. 1.1 miles away); Denver's Old City Hall (approx. 1.1 miles away); Alfred Dach (approx. 1.1 miles away); Smoky Hill Trail (approx. 1.1 miles away); In Memory of Sadie M. Likens (approx. 1.1 miles away); Joe P. Martinez (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Denver.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings

 
The Interior of the Buckhorn Exchange image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, October 13, 2008
3. The Interior of the Buckhorn Exchange
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 17, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 703 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 17, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement