Birdís-eye view of Black Hawk
Gilpin County, Colorado
Black Hawk History
Take an adventure in & around this venerable, most informative lithograph:
This birdís-eye view of Black Hawk shows Gregory Gulch at the top of the mapís center – and Chase Gulch to the right of Gregory Gulch. Both gulches feed into North Clear Creek, which courses in a meandering, through primarily horizontal, route from the left to the right side of the map. The mills, the foundries, the homes and businesses occupy the small areas of somewhat level ground as well as the stone-buttressed terraces up the steep hillsides. The Colorado Central Railroad follows North Clear Creek and then on up to Central City, across hillsides and gulches, in a 4-mile spur with two switchbacks. The Gilpin Tram had not been built in 1882 – the year that this lithograph was drawn. Notice also that by 1882, the hillsides were bare –the trees had been used for fueling the mill furnaces and construction of buildings.
ē Commercial/dowtown buildings: the ca. 1860ís Rohling Block, the 1875 Jenkins-McKay Hardware Building, the mid-1880ís Gilpin Hotel, and many more;
ē A portion of the Polar Star Mine in Chase Gulch (no. 4 on the lithograph) is a survivor and is evidence of the mills and their processing of ore in Black Hawk. Mill, foundries & related
ē Residential homes built in the latter half of the 19th century may be found in abundance with one of the finest examples being the Carpenter Gothic-style ĎLace Houseí on Main Street.
ē Public Buildings: the 1870 Schoolhouse, the 1863 Presbyterian Church, the 1877 City Hall;
ē The Colorado Central Railroad ran its trains to Black Hawk for the last time in the year 1941. The Gilpin Tram had ended its near 40-year life span in 1917.
Both vital railways left the area as the US entered World Wars I & II. The tracks, depots, and trestles are now gone.
ē The population of Black Hawk has declined from a high of 2,000 in the late 1880ís to the current 140. The church that sits above the commercial center alongside the public schoolhouse has been converted to city offices. The schoolhouse functions as the police station. The history of Black Hawk is presented at the Gilpin County Museum, housed in the original school in Central City.
Location. 39° 48.105′ N, 105° 29.635′ W. Marker is in Black Hawk, Colorado, in Gilpin County Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Main Street, Black Hawk CO 80422, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fickís Carriage Shop (a few steps from this marker); Gilpin Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Train Trestle (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Colorado Central Railroad (approx. half a mile away); Central City Opera (approx. one mile away); Central City (approx. one mile away); The Rose Haydee Building (approx. one mile away); The Ignatz Meyer Building (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Black Hawk.
More about this marker. This marker is located to the left of the Bull Durham Saloon & Casino.
Also see . . .
1. Black Hawk, Colorado: History and Fun Facts. (Submitted on January 22, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
2. Black Hawk, Colorado - Wikipedia. (Submitted on January 22, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Additional keywords. lithograph, bird's-eye view
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 22, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 843 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 22, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.