St. Louis in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
History of St. Louis
The earliest public building was the St. Louis school, built before 1877 and is still standing. Rev. M. B. Stother built the Mt. Zion Baptist Church in 1893. It was rebuilt in 1929 and still stands. The village annually hosted the St. Louis Colt Show from 1898 to the 1930s. A general store was built in 1909. A six room school was built in 1948, and named after Benjamin Banneker, a famous African American scientist, inventor, surveyor & anti slavery publicist.
Location. 39° 0.643′ N, 77° 47.044′ W. Marker is in St. Louis, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is on County Route 611 4 miles north of U.S. Rt. 50, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is on the north side of the village. Marker is in this post office area: Middleburg VA 20117, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured Battle of Unison (approx. 1.7 miles away); Mosby’s Rangers (approx. 2.7 miles away); Welbourne (approx. 2.7 miles away); Rector’s Crossroads (approx. 2.7 miles away); Rector House (approx. 2.8 miles away); Attack at Goose Creek Bridge (approx. 2.8 miles away); Battle of Middleburg (approx. 3.1 miles away); Mount Defiance (approx. 3.2 miles away).
Regarding History of St. Louis. An identical marker also stands at the south entrance to the town of St. Louis.
Additional keywords. Loudoun County, Benjamin Banneker.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 6, 2008, by Franklin Bell of Bluemont, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,339 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 6, 2008, by Franklin Bell of Bluemont, Virginia. 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 10, 2008, by Franklin Bell of Bluemont, Virginia. 6, 7. submitted on February 10, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.