Independence in Inyo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Originally known as the Carson & Colorado Railroad, the line was completed to Keeler, Ca in 1883. The railroad had a profound affect on the economy of the Owens Valley. The hauling of ore and agriculture products, which took 10 days by mule teams, now could get to the markets of western Nevada in one day. The economy of the Eastern Sierra boomed, population grew and agricultural production rivaled the San Joaquin Valley.
Unfortunately, this prosperity was short lived due to failing mines and a decline in farming because of the diversion of water to Los Angeles. Freight and passenger railroad was abandoned in 1960ís.
Erected 1992 by Slim Princess Chapter 395 E. Clampus Vitus.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 36° 48.364′ N, 118° 12.125′ W. Marker is in Independence, Touch for map. Marker is located at Dehy Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 453 U.S. 395, Independence CA 93526, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Inyo County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Putnamís Stone Cabin (approx. ľ mile away); Edwards House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mary Austinís Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Camp Independence (approx. 2.2 miles away); Kearsarge Station (approx. 4.7 miles away); Sacred Space (approx. 6 miles away); Legacy (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Independence.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 31, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 612 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 31, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.