Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Fuller & Johnson Manufacturing Co. Oﬃce Building
1885; Additions c. 1892 and 1909
Designated September 7, 2004
Erected 2012 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 163.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
Location. 43° 5.309′ N, 89° 21.9′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of East Washington Avenue (U.S. 151) and North Dickinson Street, on the right when traveling west on East Washington Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1344 East Washington Avenue, Madison WI 53703, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of Gisholt Machine Company Manufacturing Complex (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Steensland Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Steensland Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); John A. Johnson made Madison's Factory District Flourish (approx. ¼ mile away); Tenney Park (approx. ¼ mile away); Burr Jones Field (approx. ¼ mile away); Sixth Ward Public Library (approx. 0.3 miles away); Yahara River Parkway (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Fuller & Johnson Manufacturing Co. Office Building. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "This relatively small office building is all that remains intact of the once sprawling Fuller & Johnson Manufacturing Company. It was built largely in an industrial vernacular mode but features a classically styled main entrance. Most of the former complex was located across Dickinson St. from this site. One of its founders, John A. Johnson, also started the Gisholt Machine Co. on E. Washington Ave., and was a powerful catalyst for turning Madison into an important manufacturing center in the 1880s."
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. These are markers that mention John A. Johnson. The page for the first one
Also see . . . Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the building (pdf). (Submitted on February 2, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 2, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 573 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 2, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 2. submitted on February 22, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 3, 4. submitted on February 2, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.