Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Asbury Park in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

President Wilsonís Asbury Park Executive Offices

 
 
President Wilson's Asbury Park Executive Offices Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C.
1. President Wilson's Asbury Park Executive Offices Marker
Inscription. Woodrow Wilson, 28th President of the United States, used the entire fifth floor of this building for his executive offices during the late summer and early fall of 1916 while he vacationed at Shadow Lawn, the Summer White House at West Long Branch. It was in the offices here that many of president Wilsonís plans for re-election were formulated and it was here that his staff counted the returns which were to show that President Wilson had defeated his Republican opponent, Charles Evans Hughes, on November 7, 1916.
Placed by
First Merchants National Bank
August 7, 1967

 
Erected 1967 by First Merchants National Bank.
 
Location. 40° 12.973′ N, 74° 0.618′ W. Marker is in Asbury Park, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is at the intersection of Mattison Avenue and Emory Street, on the left when traveling north on Mattison Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 Mattison Avenue, Asbury Park NJ 07712, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Soldiersí Monument (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); S.S. Morro Castle Disaster (approx. 0.8 miles away); Bradley Beach World War I Monument
Asbury Park Trust Company Building (Marker to Left of Main Doors) image. Click for full size.
By R. C.
2. Asbury Park Trust Company Building (Marker to Left of Main Doors)
In a picture I have in a book about Asbury Park, there is a photo of a postcard of this building taken, most likely, in the time period when the building served as the White House Summer Executive Offices.
The 1950/60s-style awning is not there, of course, and there were green and white striped cloth awnings over each window (common for building during that time).
The words "Asbury Park Trust Co." were carved in the stone just below the windows on the fifth floor on the radius of the corner of the building. There was also a large American flag flying from the top of the building on a vertical pole at the radius of the building's corner facing the street.
(approx. one mile away); Jersey Central Power & Light Employees (approx. 1.3 miles away); New Era Anchor (approx. 1.3 miles away); Shark River Salt Works (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Spirit of the American Doughboy (approx. 2.5 miles away); Malta Shipwreck (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Asbury Park.
 
Also see . . .  Wilson's Office Staff Going to Asbury Park. An article published in The New York Times on September 8, 1916. (Submitted on February 10, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsPolitics
 
Ornate Carvings on Main Entrance of Building image. Click for full size.
By R. C.
3. Ornate Carvings on Main Entrance of Building
Although partially obscured by a 1950/60's addition, a face can be seen next to the stainless steel addition. This was originally the corner of stonework next to the main doors and there was a large semi-circle glass window with the words "Asbury Park TRUST Company" immediately to the left of the stonework.
This Historic Building is Being Converted Into Condos image. Click for full size.
By R. C.
4. This Historic Building is Being Converted Into Condos
View looking up at the building's "castle-like" design image. Click for full size.
By R. C.
5. View looking up at the building's "castle-like" design
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 8, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,571 times since then and 87 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on February 8, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey.   2, 3. submitted on February 16, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey.   4. submitted on February 8, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey.   5. submitted on February 11, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement