Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
During World War I, the U.S., Canada, and Britain jointly established three airfields where 2,000 pilots trained. The city’s first airport, Meacham Field, opened in 1925. Texas Air Transport began regular mail and passenger service in 1928; it became American Airlines in 1934.
Thousands of B-24 “Liberator” bombers were built in Fort Worth during World War II. Pilots trained at adjacent Tarrant Air Field, renamed Carswell Air Force Base in 1948. The site became the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base in 1994. Known as an aviation manufacturing center for bombers, fighter planes, helicopters, and commercial aircraft, Fort Worth also became a major transportation center in 1974 with the opening of DFW International Airport.
Erected 2006 by Heritage Trails and Lockheed Martin. (Marker Number 14.)
Location. 32° 45.166′ N, 97° 19.805′ W. Marker is in Fort Worth, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and 7th Street on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 714 Main Street, Fort Worth TX 76102, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cynthia Ann Parker and Native Americans of North Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); The Wild Bunch (within shouting distance of this marker); Amon G. Carter, Sr. (1879-1955) (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); General William Jenkins Worth (about 400 feet away); Blackstone Hotel (about 400 feet away); The Atelier Building (about 500 feet away); JFK (about 500 feet away); First Christian Church of Fort Worth (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
Categories. • Air & Space •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 11, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 471 times since then and 33 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on February 11, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?