Hitchcock in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
City of Hitchcock
Churches were active. St. Mary's (later Our Lady of Lourdes) Catholic parish had first house of worship. A building for Protestants, soon a Methodist church, was erected 1894. Other faiths arrived later.
After 1920, truck farming declined; packing houses closed. In 1930s, local men found work in Texas City.
A Coast Auxiliary Army Replacement Center opened here in 1940; it later became Camp Wallace, an anti-aircraft training center. A blimp base was operated 1941-45, for surveillance against enemy submarines.
Hitchcock remains a center of small business and industry, with modern homes on garden acreage owned and occupied by urban and industrial workers.
Erected 1973 by Texas Historical Commission
Location. 29° 21.185′ N, 95° 1.966′ W. Marker is in Hitchcock, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is on State Highway 6 west of State Highway 2004, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8916 Texas 6, Hitchcock TX 77563, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. U. S. Naval Air Station (approx. 0.8 miles away); Camp Wallace (approx. 0.8 miles away); Stringfellow Orchards (approx. one mile away); Galilee Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); Hitchcock Depot (approx. 2.3 miles away); Original Site of First Baptist Church of Alta Loma (approx. 3.1 miles away); Alta Loma (approx. 3.2 miles away); Frank Bell Jr. (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hitchcock.
Also see . . . Hitchcock, Texas. Wikipedia (Submitted on February 14, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 12, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 525 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 12, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.