Texas City in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In 1891-1892 Minnesota investors chose Shoal Point as the future site of a port and industrial center and asked their friend Frank Davison to manage the venture. By the end of 1893 the town, renamed Texas City, had a hotel, railroad station, post office, and a 6-mile-long channel project underway.
Despite delays created by the 1900 storm, an enlarged channel capable of receiving ocean going vessels was completed by 1905. Construction of a tank farm in 1920 initiated decades of oil refining and petrochemical industrial development. The city's rapid growth in the late 1930s and during World War II was briefly interrupted by the disastrous port explosions of 1947. Nevertheless, during the 1950s the city's population almost doubled to 32,000 people as the local economy responded to a surge in worldwide demand for oil by-products. By 1992 Texas City was Galveston County's largest mainland city.
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11574.)
Location. Touch for map. The marker is in front of the Texas City Library. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1701 9th Ave N, Texas City TX 77590, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church of Texas City (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sociedad Mutualista Mexicana in Texas City (approx. 1.1 miles away); Booker T. Washington School (approx. 1.2 miles away); The First Texas City Refinery (approx. 1½ miles away); Texas City Terminal Railway Company (approx. 1½ miles away); The Texas City Disaster (approx. 1½ miles away); Propeller of the SS Highflyer (approx. 1½ miles away); Texas City Memorial Cemetery (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Texas City.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 13, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 437 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 13, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.