Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chocowinity in Beaufort County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Trinity Church

 
 
Trinity Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, February 4, 2012
1. Trinity Church Marker
Inscription. Episcopal. Originally Blountís Chapel. Built ca. 1774 by Rev. Nathaniel Blount. Moved in 1939 from original site nearby.
 
Erected 1968 by Archives and Highway Departments. (Marker Number B-46.)
 
Location. 35° 30.802′ N, 77° 6.202′ W. Marker is in Chocowinity, North Carolina, in Beaufort County. Marker is on State Highway 33 west of Business U.S. 17, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 182 NC Hwy 33 West, Chocowinity NC 27817, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trinity School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lindsay C. Warren (approx. 3.2 miles away); John H. Small (approx. 3.2 miles away); Havens Memorial Building (approx. 3.2 miles away); Siege Of Washington (approx. 3.2 miles away); USS Picket (approx. 3.2 miles away); Attack On Washington (approx. 3.3 miles away); C. C. Cambreleng (approx. 3.3 miles away).
 
Regarding Trinity Church. From the Wikipedia entry: In 1939, the church building was moved on log rollers drawn by horses from its original location to a plot of land owned by the parish. The parish hall (built ca 1900) already stood
Trinity Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, February 4, 2012
2. Trinity Church Marker
on this site, and the church was placed alongside that building. A two story addition was built in 1949 to provide room for Sunday School, offices, a kitchen, and general purpose space. The historic chapel has remained in continuous use since it was built in 1774.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia Entry. “In 1773, Nathaniel Blount sailed from Bath, NC to London, England to be ordained a priest. The Bishop of London ordained Mr. Blount to the priesthood in Saint Paulís Cathedral, London. Upon his return to Bath, ĎParson Blount,í as he was known, had a church built. Giles Shute and John Herrington served as carpenters, according to a signed wooden panel in the sanctuary. The little building became known as Blountís Chapel.” (Submitted on February 18, 2012.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Trinity Church image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, February 4, 2012
3. Trinity Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 18, 2012, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 381 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 18, 2012, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement