Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Amon G. Carter
Carter's involvement in a wide variety of interests left its mark on many Texas institutions. In 1921, he authorized the purchase of equipment that resulted in the establishment of WBAP Radio in Fort Worth. An aviation enthusiast, Carter brought numerous early aviators to Fort Worth to demonstrate their skills and helped attract aviation industry to the area. His promotion of Fort Worth and the entire West Texas region attracted widespread attention.
Much of the fortune he earned in oil was spent on philanthropic interests, including establishment of the Amon Carter Museum as a gift to Fort Worth.
Amon G. Carter died in Fort Worth on June 23, 1955, and is buried in Greenwood Cemetery.
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission.
Location. 32° 45.094′ N, 97° 19.948′ W. Marker is in Fort Worth, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is at the intersection of West 7th Street and Taylor Street, on the left when traveling east on West 7th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 W 7th St, Fort Worth TX 76102, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Neil P. Anderson Building (within shouting distance of this marker); First Christian Church of Fort Worth (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Atelier Building (about 500 feet away); Fort Worth Library (about 700 feet away); Flatiron Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); General William Jenkins Worth (approx. 0.2 miles away); Flying Machines (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cynthia Ann Parker and Native Americans of North Texas (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
Also see . . . Carter, Amon G., Sr. The Handbook of Texas Online, Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on February 20, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 19, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 1,265 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 19, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.