Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church
St. Mary's Charleston
Incorporated February 19, 1791
The first Roman Catholic Church in
South Carolina, North Carolina, and Georgia.
This is the third structure on this site.
The first, a wooden building, was purchased
August 24, 1789, and was replaced later by a brick
church, which was burned April 28, 1838. The
cornerstone of present church was laid
August 15, 1838, and opened for devine worship
June 9, 1839. This church was consecrated
March 25, 1901.
Location. 32° 46.916′ N, 79° 55.971′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Hasell Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 93 Hasell Street, Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church (here, next to this marker); Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim (a few steps from this marker); Riviera Theatre City Market (about 600 feet away); Charleston City Market (about 600 feet away); Trinity Methodist Church Original Site / William Hammett (about 700 feet away); The Site of Carteret Bastion (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charleston.
Regarding St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church. St. Mary’s Church is considered the first established Roman Catholic Church in the Carolinas and Georgia. In 1789 trustees for the church purchased the property which it still occupies. In 1791 it was incorporated by the General Assembly of South Carolina as the Roman Catholic Church of Charleston. According to church records, the structure being used for services was soon replaced by a brick structure. This building was destroyed in 1838 in the Charleston fire of that year. Construction of the third and present structure began almost immediately, and the church was opened for worship June 9, 1839. The rectangular structure features four Doric columns that support a massive entablature which is capped with a stepped parapet. The parapet wall was probably added during the renovation
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 27, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 497 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on February 27, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.