Grand Island in Hall County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Hall County Courthouse
Designed by Omaha architect Thomas Rogers Kimball (1862-1934), the Hall County Courthouse is an exceptional example of Beaux-Arts classicism and borrows on Germanic design sources. Constructed of brick accented with limestone, the building features a domed interior rotunda with a central skylight. It was completed in 1904 at a cost of $131,793. Originally housing all county offices, the courthouse is now used by the district and county courts. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected 2010 by The Grand Foundation/Theatre and Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 480.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society marker series.
Location. 40° 55.41′ N, 98° 20.376′ W. Marker is in Grand Island, Nebraska, in Hall County. Marker is at the intersection of 1st Street (U.S. 30) and Locust Street, on the left when traveling west on 1st Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 West 1st Street, Grand Island NE 68801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort O. K. Cannon (a few steps from this marker); Civil War and Spanish-American War Memorial The Yancey (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Federal Building (about 400 feet away); Old Dodge School (about 700 feet away); Martin Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Lincoln Memorial Highway (approx. 0.3 miles away); Grand Island Public School Bell (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Island.
Also see . . .
1. Hall County, Nebraska. (Submitted on March 5, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Hall County Courthouse National Register Nomination. (Submitted on March 5, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 5, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 425 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 5, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on November 15, 2015.