Sanford in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The DeForest Building
Erected - 1889
—104 East First Street —
The Romanesque Revival architectural style, constructed of brick, was originally distinguished by three pier-like projections above the facade. In the 1950's a new facade of stucco was added which gives the building a parapet with pediment screen in the center and piers at the sides. The floor plan is rectangular and the building has a flat roof.
Erected 1989 by the Sanford Historic Preservation Board.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Florida, Sanford Historic Preservation Board marker series.
Location. 28° 48.709′ N, 81° 16.054′ W. Marker is in Sanford, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is on East First Street east of Park Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. The marker is mounted on the building, facing
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Brumley - Puleston Building (a few steps from this marker); The First National Bank No. 2 (within shouting distance of this marker); The N.P. Yowell and the Garner-Woodruff Buildings (within shouting distance of this marker); The DeForest Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Rollins College (within shouting distance of this marker); The First National Bank No. 1 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Hill Hardware Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Meisch Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sanford.
Regarding The DeForest Building. The DeForest Building is not listed individually with the National Register of Historic Places. In the NRHP listing cited by the marker, the building is designated one of several Contributing Structures within the Sanford Commercial District, a National Historic District.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 8, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 291 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 8, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.