Sanford in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Henry B. Lord Building
Erected - 1895
—112 South Park Avenue —
H.B. Lord Jewelry and Optical was established in 1879 and moved to this building when it was completed. It is the site of Sanford's oldest jewelry store and has been a jewelry store for most of its history.
Erected 1989 by the Sanford Historic Preservation Board.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Florida, Sanford Historic Preservation Board marker series.
Location. 28° 48.674′ N, 81° 16.088′ W. Marker is in Sanford, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is on South Park Avenue south of First Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. The marker is mounted on the building, facing the sidewalk. Marker is at or near this postal address: 112 South Park Avenue, Sanford FL 32771, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rollins College (within shouting distance The First National Bank No. 1 (within shouting distance of this marker); The First National Bank No. 2 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Brumley - Puleston Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The DeForest Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The PICO Block (about 300 feet away); The DeForest Block (about 300 feet away); The Hill Hardware Building (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sanford.
Regarding The Henry B. Lord Building. The Henry B. Lord Building is not listed individually with the National Register of Historic Places. In the NRHP listing cited by the marker, the building is designated one of several Contributing Structures within the Sanford Commercial District, a National Historic District.
The building's long history as a jewelry store appears to have ended. At the time of this marker's entry into the database, the building was home to a bar.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 8, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 345 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 8, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.