Near Concordia in Cloud County, Kansas — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
WWII P.O.W. Camp
—July 1943 - Nov. 1945 —
815 American Guards
Housed in this Facility
[Taped on T-64 door window]
Building T-64 was built in the spring of 1943 and was placed at the entrance of Camp Concordia. It was designated guard post 20. It was located in the center of MacArthur Avenue, the road to your rear. Everyone that entered or left the camp had to be cleared by the guard at this post. To those driving by it represented Camp Concordia.
When the camp was dismantled in 1945-46 the building was purchased and moved to Scandia. There it was used as an office at a feed lot. Lap siding was put on the outside, asphalt shingles put on the roof and pine paneling was added to the inside. Different lighting was put in as were electrical outlets and phone lines. The building was used at the feed lot until 1998.
In 1998, Annette Bredthauer, DVM, donated the building to the POW Camp Concordia Preservation Society. The building was moved from Scandia to its present location by volunteers.
Volunteers have put on a new roof, repaired the siding, painted, sanded the floor, and repaired the windows. The south end of the building has been restored as it was in 1945. The inside has been fixed so that you can see the stages the
Today the building is a mini-museum of Camp Concordia. The building and grounds are maintained by the POW Camp Concordia Preservation Society.
Erected by Citizens National Bank.
Location. 39° 36.599′ N, 97° 38.355′ W. Marker is near Concordia, Kansas, in Cloud County. Marker is on Union Road / Fort Kearney Road one mile east of 145th Road (U.S. 81), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is about four miles NNE of Concordia. Marker is in this post office area: Concordia KS 66901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Robert Francis Summers Memorial Clock (approx. 2.7 miles away); Union Pacific Railroad Passenger Depot (approx. 2.7 miles away); National Orphan Train Complex (approx. 2.7 miles away); Brown Grand Theatre (approx. 3 miles away); Cloud County War Memorial (approx. 3.3 miles away); James Manny Hagaman (approx. 3.8 miles away); Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Memorial (approx. 3.8 miles away); Davies-Crook American Legion Post 76 War Memorial (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Concordia.
Related marker. another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Camp Concordia WWII POW Camp. (Submitted on March 11, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. History of Camp Concordia. (Submitted on March 11, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Camp Concordia: German POWs in the Midwest, by Lowell A. May. (Submitted on March 11, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Man-Made Features • War, World II •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 11, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 497 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 11, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.