Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Early Quarter Horse Shows

 
 
Early Quarter Horse Shows Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, May 22, 2010
1. Early Quarter Horse Shows Marker
Inscription. Prior to 1940, Quarter Horses, also called Steeldusts or Billys, did not have an official breed name. However, there were shows where horsemen brought their Quarter Horses to be judged. William Anson of Christoval, TX, sponsored and judged this type of show in 1908 at the Northside Coliseum. It was held in conjunction with the Southwestern Exposition and Fat Stock Show.

Men such as Anson, Dan Casement, and Robert Denhardt wanted to form a breed registry to preserve the bloodlines of these horses. Coinciding with the 1940 Exposition, Denhardt held a meeting at which the American Quarter Horse Association was organized.

The 1941 Exposition’s American Quarter Horse Show at Northside Coliseum was a monumental show for AQHA. WIMPY, from the King Ranch, was named Grand Champion Stallion. By virtue of this award, he was given AQHA’s registration number 1. In 1944, the Exposition was moved to the Will Rogers Memorial Center.

American Quarter Horses are now competing in shows around the world and are in demand for racing, ranch work, rodeo, recreational riding and many other activities. AQHA is the world’s largest equine breed registry, with its international headquarters located in Amarillo, Texas.

American Quarter Horse Heritage Center & Museum, Amarillo, Texas
Dedicated Oct. 1995
 
Erected
Early Quarter Horse Shows Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, May 22, 2010
2. Early Quarter Horse Shows Marker
The marker is to the far right just behind the One Way sign.
1995 by American Quarter Horse Historical Marker Program. (Marker Number AQHHMP #5.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the American Quarter Horse Markers marker series.
 
Location. 32° 47.34′ N, 97° 20.847′ W. Marker is in Fort Worth, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is on East Exchange Ave east of Rodeo Plaza, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 402 East Exchange Avenue, Fort Worth TX 76164, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Coliseum (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Bulldogger (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Worth Livestock Exchange (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Worth Stock Yards Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Worth Stockyards Horse and Mule Barns (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Worth Stock Yards Entrance (about 300 feet away); Quanah Parker (about 400 feet away); Thomas B. Saunders Family (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
 
Also see . . .  American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame & Museum. (Submitted on March 12, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Animals
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 11, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 427 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 11, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement