Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Berea in Cuyahoga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Berea Triangle

 
 
The Berea Triangle Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, November 3, 2007
1. The Berea Triangle Marker
Inscription. The Triangle, one of the most historic places in Berea, has been the center of the city’s civic life since the mid-19th century. Just beneath lie the solid layers of the famous Berea Sandstone that brought prosperity to Berea durign its early years. Quarry owner and Berea Seminary founder John Baldwin obtained much of what is now Berea from Gideon Granger, Postmaster General under President Thomas Jefferson and original owner of Township 6, Range 14 (later Middleburg Township) of the Western Reserve. When the seminary trustees transferred the Triangle tract to the people of Berea in 1847, they designated it by deed as a public promenade. This farsighted stipulation preserved it from commercial development during the 20th century.

The Triangle has served many purposes over the years, and its appearance changed frequently as Berea’s business district grew around it. Through the 1800s it served as a market for area farmers, and a bandstand (removed in 1931) hosted politicians, brass bands, and Civil War recruiters. The town pump and watering trough stood on the southeast angle of the Triangle until 1924. The monuments honor the sacrifices of Bereans who served in the nation's wars. As interurban trolley lines and, later, automobiles brought commerce to downtown Berea from outlying areas, the Triangle’s landscape reflected the
Side 2 image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, November 3, 2007
2. Side 2
social changes in the city surrounding it. Beautification and urban renewal initiatives resulted in major projects here in 1954, 1968, and 2000, helping it to continue to fulfill its original purpose.
 
Erected 2000 by The Berea Garden Club, Bud 'N' Bloom Garden Club, The City of Berea, Rotary and Kiwanis Clubs of Berea, Berea Historical Society, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 20-18.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 21.981′ N, 81° 51.203′ W. Marker is in Berea, Ohio, in Cuyahoga County. Marker is on East Bridge Street, in the median. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Berea OH 44017, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Berea Sandstone Quarries (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The “Big Quarry” (about 600 feet away); First Congregational United Church of Christ of Berea (about 800 feet away); Lyceum Square (about 800 feet away); Baldwin University (approx. half a mile away); Berea District Seven School
The Berea Triangle Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, November 3, 2007
3. The Berea Triangle Marker
(approx. 0.8 miles away); The Ark (approx. one mile away); Berea Union Depot (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berea.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyLandmarksNotable Persons
 
1999 Dedication plaque image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, November 3, 2007
4. 1999 Dedication plaque
Berea Clock Tower - Triangle October 13, 1999 Mayor - Stanley J. Trupo Council President - Jeff King {listing of Council member and Directors}
World War I Memorial image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, November 3, 2007
5. World War I Memorial
World War II, Korea, Viet Nam Memorial image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, November 3, 2007
6. World War II, Korea, Viet Nam Memorial
Spanish American War Memorial image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, November 3, 2007
7. Spanish American War Memorial
In Memoriam U.S.S. Maine Destroyed in Havana Harbor February 15, 1898 This tablet is Cast from metal recovered from the USS Maine {unreadable} as a Memorial to Company D's, Ohio Volunteer Infantry in the War with Spain, Company D, was organized at Berea and Mobilized for Duty April 25th, 1898.
Civil War Memorial image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, November 3, 2007
8. Civil War Memorial
Erected and Dedicated by a Grateful People to the memory of the soldiers and sailors of the Civil War from the Township of Middleburg and vicinity under the auspices of Berea Post No 543 GAR 1861-1865
text on Civil War Memorial image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, November 3, 2007
9. text on Civil War Memorial
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 2,232 times since then and 77 times this year. Last updated on March 12, 2012, by Harry Gatzke of Huntsville, Alabama. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on November 14, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement