East Norwalk in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Taylor Farm Park
This 30-acre open space is what remains of the former Marvin-Taylor farm property, a spread that once was called “one of the fairest domains in Southern New England.”
Descendants of one of Norwalk’s earliest residents, Matthew Marvin, first bought 10 acres here in 1790. William Marvin moved into a new 19-room farmhouse in December 1836 and gradually bought more adjacent land. (The house was where Marvin Elementary School stands today.)
In 1968, William Marvin’s great-grandsons, William Marvin Taylor and Frederick Bradford Taylor, sold what remained of the family’s property to the city. Thirty acres were turned into Taylor Farm Park and 10 acres were designated for the new Marvin School, which opened in 1970.
The land was sold to the city to remain as open space. Annual events here have included hot-air balloon festivals and antique car shows. But most days, Taylor Farm serves as one of the best places in town to give dogs (and their owners) some exercise.
Location. 41° 5.274′ N, 73° 23.613′ W. Marker is in East Norwalk, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is on Canfield Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Norwalk CT 06851, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers A Calf Pasture Primer (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Marvin Property (approx. 0.3 miles away); Lifeguarding History (approx. 0.3 miles away); Harvesting from the Sea (approx. 0.3 miles away); The British Invasion (approx. 0.4 miles away); Roger Ludlow (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fitch’s Point (approx. 0.7 miles away); A Habitat Renewed (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Norwalk.
More about this marker. A picture at the upper right of the marker has a caption of “This photo, circa 1900, shows haying operations under way on the Marvin farm property. The Marvin home and farm buildings, located where Marvin Elementary School now stands, can be seen in the distance.” Photo courtesy of The Norwalk Museum.
Categories. • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 711 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.