Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
East Norwalk in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

The Marvin Property

 
 
The Marvin Property Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 12, 2012
1. The Marvin Property Marker
Inscription.
Marvin Elementary School stands on the site of the former homestead of the Marvin-Taylor family, who lived in the 19-room farmhouse for more than 130 years.

William Marvin, an ancestor of one of Norwalk’s earliest settlers, built the house in 1836 and gradually bought adjacent property until he owned “one of the fairest domains in Southern New England.” This farm property included much of the area from here south to Calf Pasture Beach and west to the Norwalk harbor.

In 1968, William Marvin’s great-grandsons, William Marvin Taylor and Frederick Bradford Taylor, sold what remained of the family’s property to the city. Thirty acres were turned into Taylor Farm Park and 10 acres were saved for the new Marvin School, which opened in 1970.

Exercise your mind and your heart!
You’ll find more of these signs at Cow Pasture Beach park. Walk down the half-mile down and learn more about this area’s cultural & natural history.
 
Location. 41° 5.511′ N, 73° 23.731′ W. Marker is in East Norwalk, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is on Calf Pasture Beach Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Norwalk CT 06851, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance
The Marvin Property Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 12, 2012
2. The Marvin Property Marker
of this marker. Taylor Farm Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Roger Ludlow (approx. 0.3 miles away); A Calf Pasture Primer (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fitch’s Point (approx. half a mile away); Lifeguarding History (approx. 0.6 miles away); Harvesting from the Sea (approx. 0.6 miles away); The British Invasion (approx. 0.6 miles away); A Habitat Renewed (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in East Norwalk.
 
More about this marker. Three photographs appear on the right side of the marker. A picture of the Marvin farmhouse, courtesy of Linnea Walsh, has a caption of “This 19-room farmhouse once stood on the site of the current Marvin Elementary School. The house was built in 1836 by William Marvin, a descendant of one of Norwalk’s earliest settlers. The Marvin-Taylor family lived here for more than 130 years.” Two photos, courtesy of The Norwalk Museum, appear below this one and share the caption, “Above, this former barn was converted into the original Marvin farm house and later became the kitchen wing of a larger home. Right, the view from the Marvin farm property down toward Long Island Sound (c. 1927).”
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Marker on Calf Pasture Beach Road image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 12, 2012
3. Marker on Calf Pasture Beach Road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 527 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 13, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement