La Porte in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
San Jacinto Battleground Park
The movement to set aside the San Jacinto Battleground as a patriotic shrine was begun in 1856, when a group of Texas veterans assembled here started a fund for a monument to the nine men who fell in the battle. In 1883 the State purchased the first ten acres.
From its organization in 1891, the Daughters of the Republic of Texas became leaders in this work. They assisted in establishing the boundaries of the battlefield, placing granite boulders on significant sites, and induced the State Legislature to appropriate money for buying and improving the land.
In 1936 the State and Nation began the erection of the memorial shaft to honor all Texas heroes. In 1939 San Jacinto Chapter Daughters of the Republic of Texas, acting as trustees for the veterans, erected the sundial, thus completing the work started eighty-six years before.
Location. 29° 45.176′ N, 95° 5.431′ W. Marker is in La Porte, Texas, in Harris County. Marker can be reached from Independence Parkway (State Highway 134) north of Marker Drive, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Channelview TX 77530, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this Site of Surrender of Santa Anna (within shouting distance of this marker); De Zavala Plaza (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Twin Sisters (about 400 feet away); Issaac L. Jaques (about 600 feet away); First Marine Division (approx. ¼ mile away); U.S.S. Texas (approx. ¼ mile away); San Jacinto Monument (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lynchburg Town Ferry (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Porte.
Categories. • War, Texas Independence •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 19, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 697 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 19, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 6. submitted on March 15, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.