Mill Branch in Florence County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
South Carolinaís First Civil War Nears Itís End
Late in the spring of 1782, with the British military efforts in South Carolina collapsing, a treaty between Brig. Gen. Francis Marion and Pee Dee Loyalist leader, Maj. Micaiah Ganey, was soon to expire. On June 2 Marion wrote Ganey that they should come to a new agreement in order to prevent the “effusion of blood and distress of the women and children.” Marion invited him to meet near here at Burchís Mill, site of a farming settlement, grist mill, and river ferry ~ and a well known stopping place for Whig, Tory and British forces alike.
On June 8, 1782, after an intense negotiation, Marion and Ganey signed a new treaty in which the loyalist agreed to lay down their arms, return civilian property where possible, and serve in he Patriot Militia for six months. The agreement signaled the end of partisan warfare in the Pee Dee region.
Location. 34° 3.844′ N, 79° 31.714′ W. Marker is in Mill Branch, South Carolina, in Florence County. Marker is on Mill Branch Road. Touch for map. The marker is at the end of Mill Branch Road at the Great Pee Dee River. Marker is in this post office area: Pamplico SC 29583, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dewitt Bluff (approx. 5.1 miles away); Hopewell Presbyterian Church (approx. 7 miles away); William W. Harllee (approx. 7 miles away); Confederate Navy Yard (approx. 9.7 miles away); Red Doe (approx. 10.3 miles away); Mt. Zion Methodist Church (approx. 10.3 miles away); Mt. Zion Rosenwald School (approx. 10.4 miles away); World War Memorial (approx. 10.5 miles away).
1. Marker defaced
Marker has been cleaned & will have new photos soon, If you get there first take some pics. Thanks for waiting.
— Submitted September 21, 2012, by C Summers of Manning, South Carolina.
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 19, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 605 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 19, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.