Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bronx in Bronx County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Number Four

 
 
Fort Number Four Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 23, 2012
1. Fort Number Four Marker
Inscription.
Fort Number Four
of the exterior defenses of
Fort Washington and King’s Bridge
constructed by the American Army
under General Washington
1776
---------------
The Daughters of the Revolution
State of New York
erected this memorial
1914

 
Erected 1914 by The Daughters of the Revolution - State of New York.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 40° 52.431′ N, 73° 53.916′ W. Marker is in Bronx, New York, in Bronx County. Marker is on Reservoir Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bronx NY 10468, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Independence Park (approx. half a mile away); Algernon Sydney Sullivan (approx. 1.1 miles away); Van Cortlandt Mansion (approx. 1.2 miles away); Van Cortlandt House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Cortlandt House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Adoption of the Constitution (approx. 1.2 miles away); Prison Window (approx. 1.2 miles away); Major General Porter (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bronx.
 
Categories. War, US Revolutionary
 
Fort Number Four Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 23, 2012
2. Fort Number Four Marker
Fort Number Four Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 23, 2012
3. Fort Number Four Marker
Marker on Reservoir Avenue image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 23, 2012
4. Marker on Reservoir Avenue
View from the Site of Fort Number Four image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, March 23, 2012
5. View from the Site of Fort Number Four
The American Army built a square palisaded earthwork redoubt at this location in 1776 It was assaulted twice during the war, captured and occupied by British and Hessian troops.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 581 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 23, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.
Paid Advertisement