Greensboro in Guilford County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Francis McNairy House
In 1967 the museum purchased this house and moved it approximately eight miles from its original site on Old Battleground Road near Horsepen Creek. Following extensive renovations in 1994, the house was restored and reinterpreted to the 1820s, when siding covered the exterior logs and pine paneling, chair rail and decorative mantels were added to the interior.
According to tradition David Caldwell, a self-trained physician, used the house as a field hospital after the Battle of Guilford Courthouse on March 15, 1781.
Erected by Greensboro Historical Museum.
Location. 36° 4.53′ N, 79° 47.23′ W. Marker is in Greensboro, North Carolina, in Guilford County. Marker can be reached from Lindsay Street. Touch for map. Located in Mary Lynn Richardson Park on Lindsay Street. Marker is in this post office area: Greensboro NC 27401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Christian Isley House (within shouting distance of this marker); Lindsay Street School (within shouting distance of this marker); Edward R. Murrow (within shouting distance of this marker); O Henry's Family (within shouting distance of this marker); Richardson Civic Center (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Confederate Hospital (about 400 feet away); Sit-Ins (approx. ¼ mile away); Greensboro Law School (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greensboro.
Also see . . . Greensboro Historical Museum. (Submitted on April 3, 2012, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 3, 2012, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. This page has been viewed 766 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on April 3, 2012, by Michael C. Wilcox of Winston-Salem, North Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.