Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Higgins Boat (LCVP)

 
 
Higgins Boat (LCVP) Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kimberly Edwards, February 10, 2012
1. Higgins Boat (LCVP) Marker
Inscription. On this site at 1755 St. Charles Avenue in May 1941, Andrew Jackson Higgins and Higgins Industries Inc. designed and produced America’s first successful tank landing craft. Here Higgins produced his shallow draft "Eureka" work boats, which evolved into the famed Landing Craft Vehicle Personnel or LCVP. During World War II Higgins Industry produced 20,094 boats for the Allied forces. The Higgins LCVP and larger Landing Craft Mechanized (LCM) boats revolutionized modern warfare by allowing an amphibious force to land men and equipment across a bow ramp over an open beach. The Higgins boats participated in the landings at Salerno, Normandy, Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, Tarawa, and hundreds of lesser known amphibious assaults. Many of these same craft remained in service until the 1970s and may still be found on rivers around the world. Supreme Allied Commander Dwight Eisenhower once referred to Higgins as “the man who won the war for us.”

Sponsors: Brad J. Burke Insurance Agency, and the Department of History at the University of New Orleans
 
Erected 2012 by Department of History at the University of New Orleans.
 
Location. 29° 56.195′ N, 90° 4.656′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is at the intersection of St. Charles Avenue and Felicity Street on St. Charles Avenue. Touch for map. The marker is place in the neutral ground of St. Charles Avenue across from Houston's Restaurant, which sits on the site of the original Higgin's boat office. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1755 St. Charles Avenue, New Orleans LA 70130, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Trinity Church Episcopal (approx. 0.3 miles away); Bradish Johnson House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Margaret's Place and Walk / Lower Garden District (approx. 0.4 miles away); Adams – Jones House (approx. half a mile away); The Manse (approx. half a mile away); Goldsmith-Godchaux House (approx. half a mile away); Edward A. Davis House (approx. half a mile away); Brevard-Rice House (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
 
Categories. MilitaryWar, World II
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 4, 2012, by Michael Edwards of New Orleans, New Orleans, LA. This page has been viewed 757 times since then and 56 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on April 4, 2012, by Michael Edwards of New Orleans, New Orleans, LA. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement