Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Berkeley in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

North Berkeley Congregational (Grace North) Church

James W. Plachek, Architect, 1913

 
 
North Berkeley Congregational (Grace North) Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, April 5, 2012
1. North Berkeley Congregational (Grace North) Church Marker
Inscription.
City of Berkeley Landmark
designated in 1999
When architect James Plachek was hired at the age of 29 to design this church, it was his first major commission in Berkeley. He later designed many public and commercial buildings, including the Berkeley Public Library. Because of its similarity to many Arts and Crafts-style homes of the same era, the church was nicknamed the “Berkeley Bungalow Church.” Although nearly half its parishioners lost their homes in the 1923 Berkeley Fire, the church itself narrowly escaped destruction.

Founded in 1892, the parish survived great social changes, renaming itself several times. It reincorporated as Grace North Church in 1995.
 
Erected 2008 by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
 
Location. 37° 52.714′ N, 122° 16.055′ W. Marker is in Berkeley, California, in Alameda County. Marker is on Cedar Street near Walnut Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. The church building is location on the southeast corner of Walnut and Cedar Streets. The marker is mounted on the side of the building which faces Cedar Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1601 Walnut Street, Berkeley CA 94708, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
North Berkeley Congregational (Grace North) Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, April 5, 2012
2. North Berkeley Congregational (Grace North) Church Marker
The marker is on the Cedar Street side of the church.
are within walking distance of this marker. Peet’s Coffee & Tea (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hillside Club (approx. 0.2 miles away); Whittier School (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Poetry Garden (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Hunrick Grocery Store (approx. ¼ mile away); The 1923 Berkeley Fire (approx. 0.3 miles away); Edward A. Brakenridge House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Benjamin Ide Wheeler House and Garden (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
North Berkeley Congregational (Grace North) Church image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, April 5, 2012
3. North Berkeley Congregational (Grace North) Church
North Berkeley Congregational (Grace North) Church - Berkeley History Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, April 5, 2012
4. North Berkeley Congregational (Grace North) Church - Berkeley History Marker
[This marker was originally mounted on the church annex but is now in storage.]
In 1878 the Central Pacific Railroad was extended from downtown Berkeley to Berryman Station on nearby Shattuck Avenue. The surrounding neighborhood grew rapidly. In 1891 the Rev. Dr. Loyal Lincoln Wirt, an early graduate of the Pacific School of Religion, started a Sunday school near this site. A year later 24 adults covenanted themselves as a church and built north Berkeley’s first church on Oxford Street, south of Cedar.

In 1905 the original building was moved to face Cedar Street, remodeled, and enlarged. In 1914 the present sanctuary was completed on the corner of Cedar and Walnut, away from the noise of the streetcars on Oxford Street. The original church burned in 1944 and was later replaced by the current parish hall. In 1989 the parish became the home of the Grace Institute of Religious Learning.

Plaque funded by the parishioners of Grace North Church Berkeley Historical Plaque Project
2000
North Berkeley Congregational (Grace North) Church Markers - wide view image. Click for full size.
April 26, 2009
5. North Berkeley Congregational (Grace North) Church Markers - wide view
Here both markers are visible - the current marker to the right of the door on the right-hand side of the picture, while the marker currently in storage is visible on the left side of the picture, at the top of the brick stairway. Also note that when this picture was taken in 2009 the building still had an awning.
North Berkeley Congregational (Grace North) Church image. Click for full size.
April 26, 2009
6. North Berkeley Congregational (Grace North) Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 7, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 473 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 7, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.   5, 6. submitted on April 11, 2012. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement