Berkeley in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Federal Land Bank
James W. Plachek, Architect, 1938
—ELS Architects, 1999 —
One of the two major entrances faced west in anticipation of the creation of a civic center park. In 1940 Berkeley voters passed a bond issue for development of the present park. In 1976 the building was purchased by the City of Berkeley to house municipal offices. Renamed the Martin Luther King, Jr. Civic Center Building in 1983, it was seismically retrofitted in 1999. In keeping with architect Plachek’s original plans, a partial sixth floor was added.
Erected 2000 by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
Location. 37° 52.171′ N, 122° 16.236′ W. Marker is in Berkeley, California, in Alameda County. Marker is on Milvia Street Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2180 Milvia Street, Berkeley CA 94704, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Berkeley Y.M.C.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); United States Post Office (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Jos. H. McCourt / Bruno L. Putzker (about 300 feet away); Elks Club Building (about 300 feet away); Veterans Memorial Building (about 400 feet away); Armstrong College Building (about 500 feet away); Berkeley High School Industrial Arts and Science (G and H Buildings) (about 600 feet away); Framåt Lodge #405 (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 9, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 452 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 15, 2012. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.