Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Fort Hancock’s barracks originally included barber and tailor shops, a kitchen, and a mess hall. After a few years, the army wanted more bunk space and these operations were moved to new detached mess halls built directly behind each barracks.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 39.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Fort Hancock Walking Tour marker series.
Location. 40° 27.644′ N, 74° 0.161′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker can be reached from Magruder Road. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fill’er Up! (within shouting distance of this marker); Handball Court (within shouting distance of this marker); Fire House Number 2 (within shouting distance of this marker); Lighting the Way (within shouting distance of this marker); Young Men’s Christian Association Mortar Battery (about 300 feet away); New York Yankees vs. Hometown Sluggers (about 400 feet away); Sandy Hook Light (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. A photo on the background of the marker depicts “Thanksgiving dinner in 1943 with the 7th Coast Artillery.” A photograph of the Mess Hall appears at the upper left of the marker. It has a caption of “Built in 1905, this is how the mess hall looked in 1956.”
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 14, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 315 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 14, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.