Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The army encouraged sporting events and friendly competition between units on the post and among neighboring forts. Fort Hancock had its own baseball, football, bowling, basketball, and weight lifting teams, which competed with posts in the region.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Fort Hancock Walking Tour marker series.
Location. 40° 27.734′ N, 74° 0.222′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is on Kearney Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Post Commissary (within shouting distance of this marker); Sergeants’ Row (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Exchange (within shouting distance of this marker); Lock’em Up! (within shouting distance of this marker); Post Headquarters Young Men’s Christian Association (about 400 feet away); Bachelor Officers’ Quarters (about 400 feet away); Barracks Row (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a photo of the post’s football team, the Fort Hancock Warriors in 1939. A photo in the lower right of the marker depicts a woman’s softball game, and has a caption of “In 1943, the Women’s Army Corps played softball here.”
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Sports •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 321 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.