Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The commissary was a storage warehouse for provisions such as sugar, flour, coffee, canned meats, and other food stuffs needed at the mess halls. The commissary also had a small shop where army personnel and civilian employees living on post could make purchases.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 10.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Fort Hancock Walking Tour marker series.
Location. 40° 27.765′ N, 74° 0.23′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is at the intersection of Kearney Road and McNair Road when traveling north on Kearney Road. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Athletic Field (within shouting distance of this marker); Sergeants’ Row (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Post Exchange (about 400 feet away); A Late Addition to Officers Row Lock’em Up! (about 400 feet away); Post Headquarters (about 500 feet away); Quartermaster Storehouse (about 500 feet away); Bachelor Officers’ Quarters (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. The background of the marker features a photo from 1938 of the Post Commissary, which was built in 1900.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 269 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.