Sandy Hook in Monmouth County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Enlisted men lived on Barracks Row facing the parade ground. The four identical buildings each held a full battery of 80 soldiers. The U-shaped double barracks on the far right, built in 1909, held two batteries. Each barracks had its own mess hall, latrine, and barber and tailor shops.
Fort Hancock was in operation from 1895 to 1974.
Erected by Gateway National Recreation Area. (Marker Number 30.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Fort Hancock Walking Tour marker series.
Location. 40° 27.7′ N, 74° 0.306′ W. Marker is in Sandy Hook, New Jersey, in Monmouth County. Marker is on Kessler Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is located in the Fort Hancock area in the Sandy Hook Unit of Gateway National Recreation Area. Marker is in this post office area: Highlands NJ 07732, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bachelor Officers’ Quarters ( a few steps from this marker); Post Headquarters ( about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Late Addition to Officers Row ( about 400 feet away); Lock’em Up! ( about Sergeants’ Row ( about 400 feet away); Athletic Field ( about 400 feet away); Young Men’s Christian Association ( about 500 feet away); Post Exchange ( about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sandy Hook.
More about this marker. A picture of Barracks Row on the background of the marker contains a caption of “Barracks Row was built between 1899 and 1909. This is how it looked in 1912.” A photo at the lower left of the marker shows the interior of one of the barracks. It has a caption of “The soldiers in Barracks 23 lived in open rooms with row upon row of beds, pictured here about 1905.”
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 288 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 15, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.